Sunday, August 15, 2010

Take care, what you say could come true.

In 2001 I came over to Australia... 38 years old, first time overseas traveler, wow, so much to see so little time.
First we popped in to meet some friends in Perth. What a nice place! A little flat, but nice. very new, modern and growing.
Then we popped over to Melbourne for a Chem Ing conference. That was a buzz! I got the royal treatment and could see the city with all the wives and partners of the conference attendees. I could experience the tours on the Yarra and around the city and when I learnt about the FREE TRAM! wow this was the place to be.
And don't forget the limo rides and great hotels and the flames in the evenings at South Bank with people you know from the conference!
Hey, now that's how you market a place!
Then we went to Sydney, because you can't come to Australia without going to Sydney...
Limo rides and tour guides again! O boy, how spoilt can I be.
But I had a bit of reality in my mind left and we booked a Maui Van to go and see the Blue Mountains... At first we thought, what mountains, but now that we are living here a few years on, now we know they are beautiful!
Anyway, the experience was great except for the "canteen" that closed early (3pm) and so we had no food. O well, its all about the experience. The spring roll I had was a little on the "off" side so I felt a little less hungry for a few days. Good for the budget, don't you think.
Well, I did not know where Harald took me too, I was just the passenger and enjoyed every moment of it.
We landed up in Newcastle, what a beautiful city! At Bar Beach is where I said it: "Wow, if you want to take me away from South Africa, bring me here, this is where I want to be."
Well, in 2005 that's where we went, straight to the place that I fell in love with on my first visit to Aus!
It is so beautiful and it is right next to the sea. Real people live there, with real issues and some with not so real issues, but I loved every moment of my stay in Newcastle. Until...

1 comment:

Trademechanic said...

Yep, Newcastle is a great city today. Many Australians cannot believe it when we make that statement, as it used to be a dirty, industrial city, apparently thanks to the old BHP Steel Works. But these had long disappeared by the time we got there in 2001 and the city has steadily been upgraded to a modern, clean and thriving place when we arrived at the end of 2005. Although the 6th biggest city in Australia, it has the heart and character of a small rural town...