Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Morning After

It was the morning after we landed in Sydney that I realised, I am back in this 'funny' country where the birds wake you up from trees so close to your house that you feel as if you are in the nest with them.
Now the Magpies really struggle to hold a tune sometimes, but you can see that they don't have a clue. To them it is really the most beautiful sound they have ever heard. To a South African, used to neat little tunes of Pietmyvrou's (dont' bother trying to say it if no one ever taught you how) and hoep hoeps and lovely song birds, this is really very funny. But wait there's more... what about the Kookaburra (!) man, do they have a great sense of humor. I have never heard such loud laughter from a bird and no matter how depressed I feel on the day, they pull me through. It sounds like baboons barking. Then you get the Bell Birds, they make the sound of a U-boat... PING! Its great to hear them Pinging through the woods.
Now I am really not a bird watcher so I haven't learnt too many more names, but these birds are my favourites.
In the woods near our house in Green Point, are the most beautiful  pathways to cycle, run or walk. The pathways go along the lake and through the bush, this is something you have to experience to understand how beautiful it really is.
Running any other pathway, is just not as nice after that.

No comments: