Wednesday, September 1, 2010

31 August 2010

Today is the date that my parents got married, 64 years ago in South Africa. If it weren't for them, we would not be here, not one of us.
Having them as examples of how to treat people and be accountable, is a great privilege.
I am the youngest of five children and the only daughter. Well that was before my brothers got married anyway, I really just got my sisters later.
My parents now have their sons and son-in-law and their daughter and daughters-in-law. 15 grandchildren and five lovely great grand children. We all still like each other and we all get together when life creates the time and the place for it.
My dad is a very prominent artist in South Africa (Dirk Meerkotter) and he sets his standards very high. You can find him on the web if you are interested http://www.meerkotter.co.za/
My mom (Annie) is a very dynamic and wise women. She keeps the family together, because the lets every do what they need to do to grow. She advises us when we ask for it and she is a passionate inspiration to everyone in the family.
These two people have made a great impression on our lives, but more than that, on the lives of so many South Africans who met them. My mom has learnt to write emails and communicates with everyone who cares to write to them. My parents have many connections across the world because of my dads art, but mainly because they are such loving and caring people.
We will always have their example, no matter where we are and we will always strive to be more like them as we live our lives in our new country.

No comments: