Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Guilt!

One of the most difficult things for me, to this day, is to accept that you can enjoy life without feeling guilty about the person next to you not having enough.
I grew up in a system where you have to make sure that you constantly give money to the person standing at the traffic light with his hands palm side up. Cupping it, to catch every last cent you might throw his way. Or the child with torn clothes, looking really hungry and asking for money. Then you get the ones who are drama queens, telling you a story of their life and how miserable it is to be them and could yo please hand over R300 rands or R50, depending on what they think their story is worth.
When I ride on my bike or I walk along on a beautiful pathway beside a lake or in a bush, it is really hard not to think of those poor souls and how this specific place would have looked with a few of them to hassle me. Then I look at the people who also enjoy the walk and they seem to think that this is how life is and it does not even cross their minds that it could be any different. In fact, I find, on every trip, there are some people who find something to complain about, something that should have been better. Amazing isn't it, that a vision and an experience is so connected to previous experiences. I spoke to someone about this and how grateful I feel for where I am now and how hard it is not to feel guilty. He just answered, I don't feel guilty, life owes me this. Well, I am not there yet, I really feel very privileged to be a part of such a beautiful place for as long as I may be a part of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want to leave a comment and you do not have a google account, just mark the comment as annonymous and if you so wish, put your name or nickname at the bottom of the post for me to see.
thank you
Linky